Celebration of Fall: Pumpkin Butter

FALL IS HERE, FRIENDS! It is here in the form of cooler weather and yellow-orange leaves and, you guessed it, PUMPKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel like everyone is tired of hearing about the awesomeness of pumpkin this year but I DONT CARE. Pumpkin is freakin amazing and should be enjoyed to it’s fullest, especially in autumn! I love pumpkin in almost all things, but here are some of the ways I especially like to enjoy pumpkin:

  • pumpkin pie
  • pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
  • pumpkin cheesecake
  • pumpkin bread
  • pumpkin pancakes
  • candy corn pumpkins
  • and of course, pumpkin spice lattes!

This is basically me:

PB4

Fall has just started here in St. Louis. I’m pretty excited because this is only the second time I’ve experienced real fall. I am 75% ready to wear scarves/walk in crunchy leaves and 25% scared of the cold. (so scared.) To get myself in the autumn spirit, I’ve made my first pumpkin recipe of season, Pumpkin Butter!

PB1

Pumpkin Butter is a confusing name for this recipe, because it has no butter in it at all. It’s more like a…jam? But not a jam because it’s not a fruit preserve. Anywho, I think it gets its name from being a delicious spread/condiment that you can put on ANYTHING – just like butter!

You may have seen pumpkin butter at Trader Joe’s, but who needs that when you can make it yourself in under an hour! I found the recipe on a fun blog called Skinnytaste and it’s overwhelmingly easy to make.

Read the recipe here: Pumpkin Butter and see how mine came out below!

The first great thing about pumpkin butter is that it only has six ingredients:

  • Pumpkin puree
  • Vanilla extract
  • Apple cider
  • Brown sugar
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • Pumpkin pie spice

PBIngredients

All you have to do is put everything into a pot, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes! Seriously, so easy. It’s weird to boil and simmer something as thick as pumpkin puree, but as long as you stir frequently, it won’t burn.

PB2One thing I didn’t realize is that this recipe makes enough to fill 2 jars! That is a lot of pumpkin butter.

PB3I guess that means you’ll all be reading a lot of posts about things I can eat it with. Stay tuned to see how I incorporate it into delicious oatmeal!

If you didn’t catch the link to the recipe above, here it is again: Skinnytaste’s Pumpkin Butter

until next time, wishing you the best in your food adventures,
Sav

Advertisements